What Happens If You Have Head Lice for Too Long

entry image

What Happens If You Have Head Lice for Too Long

Everyone is aware of the necessity of treating lice as soon as they are found. So, what happens if you have head lice for too long?

Let's explore!

Head lice are tiny parasites that live in your hair and eat the blood from your scalp. Although they are not dangerous and do not spread illness, they are nonetheless an inconvenience. Four to six weeks following the infestation, the majority of patients start to experience symptoms. The lice are typically flourishing at this point, with females depositing about six eggs every day.

The most typical sign of head lice is the itching of the scalp, neck, and ears. The body is experiencing an allergic reaction to the louse bites, which is why this itching is occurring. A tickling feeling in the hair, visible lice on the scalp and hair, and sores on the neck, scalp, and shoulders are additional indications of a lice infestation.

What happens if you have head lice for too long?

What occurs then if you just learn that you or your child has lice? The key is prompt treatment. You can get at home head lice treatment Seattle WA from Knock Out Lice LLC. If head lice are not treated, problems may arise, making the infestation more challenging to eradicate.

Extreme itchiness and rashes

Extreme itch and rashes are two long-term symptoms of lice that are not addressed. As lice feed on the blood in the scalp, their bites on the head's skin might result in a reaction resembling that of a mosquito bite, where histamine is released. When repeatedly bitten over an extended length of time, this can result in acute itching all over the head, and among other problems, the constant scratching can result in rashes. This is one of the earliest and most significant signs, following which lice treatment must be started.

Bacterial infections

Untreated lice symptoms and disorders can develop as a result of the intense itching brought on by lice bites. Infections caused by bacteria is one of them. Since children typically don't wash their hands frequently, they are more likely to contract lice than adults. The risk of getting a bacterial infection is significant when you combine this with the extreme scratching that untreated lice infestations cause.


The bacterial infection known as cellulitis is one example of what can occur if lice are left untreated, although highly unlikely. In addition to warmth in the infected area, the patient would also suffer redness, swelling, pain, and soreness. Antibiotics on prescription are used to treat cellulitis.


Impetigo is a bacterial infection that needs to be treated with prescription medicines and is another potential, though unlikely, consequence of not treating lice. The bacteria that cause impetigo are found in fingernails, thus children are more prone to contract this sort of infection by scratching open skin. This infection first manifests as a rash and small blisters that finally result in a colored crust after the blisters burst.

Spreading head lice to other people

The risk of transferring lice to others is much more likely to occur during prolonged lice infestations than contracting a bacterial infection. When live bugs are transferred from one person to another, head lice are disseminated. If you don't treat head lice, the infestation will keep getting worse and worse. The possibility of transferring bugs to others grows as their population rises. Head lice can spread to everyone who comes into touch with someone who has them if they are not treated.

School problems

A child can get a reputation as a great spreader if they attend school while still having head lice. This could result in needless bullying. Despite the fact that the child gets lice through no fault of their own, the negative stigma attached to lice can make the youngster feel like an outsider, which is harmful. Overscheduling absences from school, especially in school with "no nit" policies, is another situation brought on by what occurs if head lice are not treated. As a result of missing too many days of class, this may result in poor grades and penalties from the school.

Hair loss

We are frequently asked if head lice, or more particularly, whether lice, cause hair loss if left untreated. Both yes and no is the answer. The loss of hair won't be directly attributed to bugs. The simple answer is no when we posed the question if lice might cause hair loss. Directly causing hair loss would be counterproductive to their life cycle. The constant scratching of an itchy head, the stress associated with head lice, and the repeated combing of the hair in vain attempts to get rid of the problem, however, can all lead to hair loss.


Consider the risks of what can happen if you have head lice for an extended period of time before you decide to accept the possibility that you may always have them. Although head lice are typically not a significant issue, they can nevertheless pose dangers for infection, social exclusion, bullying, and academic difficulties. They can also leave you with a bad conscience if you choose to ignore the situation while your child spreads it to others.

We are aware that managing head lice can be challenging and that it may be a persistent issue for some people. To schedule an appointment, get in touch with the top service provider of at home head lice treatment Seattle WA. The service is efficient and all-natural.

Our Knock Out Lice LLC Treatment Solution is 100% formulated with organic components. Join us with your family for a dedicated head lice treatment like no other service. Our knowledgeable and trained team is available round-the-clock to offer the service you need. At Knock Out Lice LLC, you will get the best head lice treatment Seattle WA at affordable prices. When assistance is just a phone call away, why put up with your situation any longer? No matter how severe your case is, Knock Out Lice LLC will eradicate it, and that’s a guarantee!